Please log in to continue accessing the Virtual Hub.
Traditionally, a Golumpki recipe is a meat mixture such as ground beef, mixed with rice, onions, and spices that is then rolled in a cooked cabbage leaf. It is topped with a tomato sauce and then baked.
Polish Golabki. This Golumpki is simply a meat mixture that is rolled in cabbage, covered in a tomato sauce, and then baked to savory perfection. Golumpki is traditionally made for special occasions like weddings, first communions and during holidays like Easter and Christmas.
• Cabbage head
•1 lb Ground Chuck
•1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
•1/2 lb cooked and crumbled bacon
• A med to large white onion chopped
• An egg
•1 cup cooked rice
•1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
•1 Family size can Tomato Soup I prefer Campbells
•3 oz tomato paste
• pinch of sugar
•1 tsp salt adjust to taste
•1 tbs pepper adjust to taste
•3 cups White Vinegar
Cabbage - 1
Ground Chuck - 1lb
Ground Italian Sausage - 1LB
cooked and crumbled bacon - 1/2 LB
med to large white onion chopped - 1
Egg - 1
cup cooked rice - 1
Family size can Tomato Soup I prefer Campbells - 1
3 oz tomato paste - 1
tsp salt adjust to taste - 1
tbs pepper adjust to taste - 1
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.Put cabbage head in a large stock pot, add water to cover and then add white vinegar to the water.
3.Place on stove on high heat and cover, bringing to a boil.
4.Gently boil cabbage until leaves of cabbage soften and become pliable.
5.Remove from stove and drain water from the pot. Set aside and allow cabbage head to cool.
6.Once cabbage is cooled, remove the leafs from the cabbage head. Take a paring knife and cut the lower portion of the "vein" from the leaf. This vein is very tough and needs to be removed. It will make it much easier to roll the meat mixture in the cabbage leaf. Continue to do this until you remove as many leaves from the cabbage as you can.
7.In a large mixing bowl combine ground chuck, sausage, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, egg, rice, bread crumbs and finally add the salt and pepper. Make certain to thoroughly combine the ingredients together. The "meat" mixture will be a similar consistency to meatloaf. It should be nice and moist. If it seems dry, add an additional egg.
8.Lay a cabbage leaf down on a flat surface thus allowing you to roll it easier. Take some of the meat mixture and form into a large meatball. You may make these as large or as small as you prefer therefore choose the size of your preference. Place the meatball in the center of the cabbage leaf. Wrap the cabbage leaf around the meat mixture (see video above).
9.Place the stuffed cabbage in a roaster with the wrapped edges down in the roaster. Repeat this process placing the Golumpki next to each other, until all of the meat mixture is used up.
10.Mix tomato soup, tomato paste and also a pinch of sugar.
11.Pour tomato soup mixture over the top of the stuffed cabbage and reserve a small amount to be used in the next step.
12.If you have cabbage leaves remaining, cover the entire top of the stuffed cabbage in the roaster.
13.Pour remaining tomato soup mixture on top of the cabbage that you lined the tops of the stuffed cabbage. This step will help steam the Golumpki that lies below and therefore will keep them nice and moist.
14.Put a lid on top of the roaster and bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
Try rolling smaller and serve as an appetizer!
Calories: 720kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1490mg | Potassium: 659mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 4.9mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3.6mg
Red potatoes, andouille sausage, shrimp, corn, Old Bay. A classic shrimp boil made without any of the fuss right in your crockpot!
Old Bay seasoning - 1/4 cup
freshly squeezed lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
hot sauce, optional - 1 tablespoon
small red potatoes - 1 1/2 pounds
medium sweet onion, cut into wedges - 1
head garlic, halved - 1
bay leaves - 2
smoked andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces - 1 (12.8-ounce) package
ears corn, each cut crosswise into 3 pieces - 3
medium or large shrimp - 2 pounds
chopped fresh parsley leaves - 2 tablespoons
1. In a large bowl, whisk together Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, hot sauce and 6 cups water; set aside.
2. Place potatoes, onion, garlic and bay leaves into a 6-qt slow cooker; stir in Old Bay seasoning mixture.
3. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are almost tender.
4. Stir in sausage and corn; cover and cook on high heat for 30 minutes. Set corn aside; keep warm.
5. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook on high heat, stirring twice, until shrimp is opaque and pink, about 20-30 minutes; drain well.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
* DON'T LET INSTACART SELECT YOUR SHRIMP FOR YOU :) *
Small portions because this is so rich. Easy to make and a definite crowd please. Make the cake ahead of time, even the day before.
Butter, room temperature - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Egg - 1
Cinnamon - 1 tsp
Grated Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
All-Purpose flour - 1 cup
Coarsley chopped walnuts - 1/2 cup
Cooking apples (Granny Smith good), peeled and grated - 3
Butter - 1/4 cup
Firmly packed brown sugar - 1/2 cup
Whipping cream or half and half - 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 8” square baking dish. Cream butter with sugar in large bowl. Beat in egg. Add flour walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt and mix well. Stir in grated apple. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in dish and cut into 16 squares (cake with the caramel sauce is very rich so the pieces are small – good luck eating just one). Pour some f the Hot Caramel Sauce over each and serve immediately.
Hot Caramel Sauce Instructions:
Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil slowly, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until sugar is melted and sauce thickens, 5-6 minutes, removing from heat several times to check consistency. If by any unusual chance there is some leftover, refrigerate it. It will become thick but just reheat to use again – or dispense with that and get a spoon and just eat it!
Perfect recipe for Taco Tuesday or anytime of the week. Dive into your next family dinner with this easy taco casserole that mixes all your favorite Mexican flavors just in a lasagna dish!
Ground Beef - 1lb
Taco Seasoning - 1 Packet
Black Beans, Drained - 1 can, 15oz
Diced Tomatoes - 1 can, 15oz
Refried Beans - 1 can, 16oz
Soft Flour Tortillas - 6, 8'
Shredded Cheese - 3 Cups
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a casserole or 9x13 pan with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat beef until browned. Drain grease and return to pan. Add one packet of taco seasoning and mix well, heating for 1-2 minutes. Add beans and tomatoes and heat for an additional 2-3 minutes or until warm. Remove from heat.
3. Place 2 tortillas into prepared pan and spread half the can of refried beans on top. Add half of the beef mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat with another layer. Top with remaining shells and remaining cheese.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or untile center is warm. Let set for 5 minutes before cutting and servicing with chopped onions and sour cream.
General Tso’s chicken
Chili garlic sauce - 2 tablespoons
Brown Sugar - 2 tablespoons
flour - 1/2 cup
cornstarch - 1/4 cup
soy sauce to taste - 2 tablespoons
chicken breast - 2 boneless breast
frozen broccoli - 1 cup
Green onion - 1 batch
rice vinegar - 1 tablespoon
minced garlic - 1 tablespoon
sesame oil - 1 tablespoon
Canola oil - 1/2 cup
Sesame seeds - 2 tablespoons
in a bowl mix chili garlic sauce, soy sauce,brown sugar, and rice vinegar. In another bowl mix flour and cornstarch.
Cut chicken into small chunk pieces and season w minced garlic, and sesame oil. Add to the flour mixture and then fry in oil (I use canola oil). Make sure chicken is nice in crunchy, then remove and drain on paper towel.
In another pan add broccoli ( I steamed it in microwave) to skillet with a little sesame oil. Add chili garlic sauce mixture to pan and chicken, mix all together for 2 minutes until every piece of chicken is coated.
Top with sesame seeds.
1/3 cup olive oil
3 medium-sized potatoes, diced into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
Salt, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup olive oil - 1/3 cup
In medium bowl, beat eggs with 3/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
In a nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium. Add potatoes; cook 10 to 12 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer potatoes back to large bowl.
To skillet, add onion; cook 12 minutes or until very tender, stirring occasionally.
With slotted spoon, transfer onion to bowl with potatoes.
When potato-onion mixture has cooled slightly, gently stir in eggs until well combined.
Drain all but 2 teaspoons oil from skillet and heat on medium-high 1 minute.
Add egg-potato mixture to skillet, spreading in even layer; reduce heat to medium. Cook 7 minutes or until eggs are mostly set and edges are browned.
Place a big, round plate on top of the skillet, and with your hand holding the plate, flip the tortilla onto the plate. Then, slide the tortilla back into the skillet and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Keep cooking, gently shaking the skillet occasionally, until completely cooked through.
Bacon optional :-)
Simple, easy recipe – delicious outcome – elevated lemon cake
Boxed Lemon Cake - 1
Freshly Washed Blueberries - 1/2 to 1 cup
Confectioners/Powdered Sugar - 1 Cup
Small frozen lemonade - 1/3 small can
Follow instructions on preparing lemon cake. Once cake is poured into baking pan, drop freshly washed and dry blueberries spreading evenly across top of cake - as cake bakes they will drop to the bottom. Bake cake as directed on cake mix box. Remove and cool. For glaze - add thawed frozen lemon juice to 1 cup powdered sugar - pour glaze over entire cake - refrigerate for 2 hours.....serve and enjoy. You can substitute fresh raspberries for blueberries if you prefer.
A Low Carb and delicious Pizza option!
Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast - 3 (1.5-2 Lbs)
Shredded Parmesan Cheese - 1 Cup
Dried Oregano, Basil and Thyme (Italian Seasoning) - 1 Teaspoon
Sea Salt (Pink or Table Salt works too) - 1 teaspoon
Ground Black Pepper - 1 Teaspoon
Pesto Sauce - 3-4 Tablespoons
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese - 1/2 Cup
Tomatoes - 1-2 medium
1. Pre-Heat oven to 450
2. Cut up the Chicken Breast in to smaller pieces (Easier to blend)
3. Add Chicken, 3/4 Cups Parmesan Cheese, Italian Seasoning, Salt, and Pepper into a blender or food processor. Blend for 2-3 minutes until a "dough" consistency
4. Cover Baking Dish/Pan with parchment paper.
5. Use a little Olive Oil to coat the pan and some on hand so the "dough" doesnt get stuck to your hands
6. Make in to round or sheet style. I make it with the middle about 1/2 inch think and the outer crust about 3/4 of an inch thick
7. Bake the Crust for 18-20 minutes (Should start to turn a nice golden brown color)
8. After taking the crust out, turn oven down to 400
9. Add Pesto Sauce and spread evenly
10. Slice tomatoes to desired thickness and spread on top of pesto
11. Add rest of Parmesan Cheese (1/4 Cup) and Mozzarella Cheese
12. Bake for another 10-12 minutes and Voila!
Low-Carb Chicken Crust Pesto Pizza! :)
Feel free to get creative with the toppings! Onions, mushrooms, spinach...The Choice is yours!
I developed this recipe to serve at a family gathering where we celebrated a visit from my brother, who had been away for training in the US Navy.
You can swap out the orange for lemon for a different take on the dish. And if you like more heat, you can up the amount of red pepper flakes to your heart’s desire.
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 2 lbs.
Soy sauce - 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp.
Onion powder - 1 tbsp.
Garlic powder - 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp.
Ground ginger - 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp.
Fish sauce - 3 tsp.
Sugar - 1 tsp
Honey - 1/3 Cup
Orange juice - ¼ Cup
Orange zest - 1 Tbsp.
1. Cut the chicken thighs into cubes approximately 1 inch in size.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 tbsp. each of soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and ground ginger, 2 tsp. fish sauce and the sugar and whisk to combine. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly, coating all pieces in marinade. Cover and set aside for 30-45 minutes at room temperature.
Honey Citrus Sauce
3. To make the honey citrus sauce combine the honey, fruit juice and zest, remaining fish sauce, red pepper flakes, and 2 tsp. each of ground ginger, garlic powder, and soy sauce into a small saucepan or pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for a minute. Create a slurry by mixing 2 tsp. cornstarch with 2 tbsp. of water until dissolved and add to the sauce. Stir constantly for about 30 seconds until the sauce thickens. Set aside. If needed, reheat over low heat, adding small dashes of water if the sauce becomes too thick.
4. Fill a saucepan or wok 1/3 of the way with vegetable oil and heat until the temperature reaches 325° to 350° F.
5. To the bowl with the marinated chicken, add enough cornstarch to coat all the pieces. Shake off any excess and place chicken in hot oil. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove the cooked chicken and drain on a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet or paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken if cooking in batches.
6. While chicken is still warm place in a large bowl. Add the desired amount of honey citrus sauce and toss until combined. Sprinkle over the sesame, if using, and toss again. Serve warm.
An old-fashioned strawberry shortcake with 2 layers of strawberry topped with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Decorate to your liking.
Fresh Starberries - 3 pints
White Sugar - 1/2 Cup
All-Purpose Flour - 2 1/4 Cups
Baking Powder - 4 Teaspoons
White Sugar - 2 Tablespoons
Salt - 1/4 Teaspoon
Egg - 1
Milk - 2/3 Cup
Whipped Heavy Cream - 2 Cups
Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.
This is the ultimate comfort, WFH breakfast!
Milk - ½ cup
Flour - ½ cup
Eggs - 2
Butter - 2 tbsp
Juice from lemons - 2
Powdered Sugar - 1 tbsp
Turn oven to 425*. Place butter in 8-9” cast iron or oven proof nonstick skillet and place in heating oven.
Mix flour, milk and eggs until you have a lumpy batter. Once the oven has reached 425*, remove pan from oven and move it around so that melted butter covers the bottom and the sides.
Pour batter into pan and put pan back in the oven. Bake about 20 minutes until it is puffy and golden brown.
Remove and put on plate. Pour lemon juice and sprinkle powdered sugar on top of Dutch Baby for a yummy, comforting, decadent and fancy looking breakfast!
Recipe can easily be doubled to make two Dutch babies. If you are hungry, you can eat one by yourself however typically each Dutch Baby will feed two people.